Saturday, January 1, 2011

New year, new plan


For the first time ever in my life I've decided to make a new year's resolution. Or rather I would like to think of it more as a commitment than a resolution. Last year a friend decided to do a 50 book challenge. Simple idea, really...read 50 books in a single year. Every time I read one of her updates, it made me think. 50 books? No problem, I can do that. I will do that. I didn't want to start the project in the middle of the year, so I decided to wait until the beginning of 2011. As the end of 2010 approached, I was thinking a lot about the challenge and I realized something. I have A LOT of books in my house that I haven't read. They came from a variety of sources...some were gifts, some book fair finds, some books I inherited from my mom. I thought, why not take the challenge one step further? So here it is. I am going to read at least 50 of my own books this year.


Here are the rules I've set for myself:

1. NO books will be purchased by me for me.

2. Borrowed books, library books and gifts are allowed.

3. Re-reads will not count toward the 50 book goal.


The one possible exception to the purchase rule may be the YMCA book fair. If the challenge is going well, I may decide that book fair purchases are allowed...especially if the challenge is going so well that I think I'll want to do it again next year.


As for the blog...as I have inspired Stephanie to take up the 50 book challenge, she has inspired me to blog. It may end up being mostly about my reading adventure...or maybe I'll actually be motivated to keep up with it, share my thoughts and such. It's a nice theory, but not something I've ever really been good at in practice. It's been a LONG time since I've done much writing...


Happy New Year!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hoorah! how fun are we!!!

Kevin and Katie said...

Yeah! I hope you go to the YMCA bookfair this year too :) It will be fun. I also think Im going to try this 50 book thing.