Saturday, February 12, 2011

Book #6: Shadowfever and Book #7: Friendship Bread

"Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own." ~William Hazlitt




I'm afraid that I'm a little behind on my blogging. I was SO excited to begin reading book #6, that I didn't even stop to blog about it before I started reading it. Just what is book #6 and why was I so impatient to read it? The book is Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning. It is the 5th and supposedly last book in her "Fever" series (if you'd like to learn more about the series, go here http://www.karenmoning.com/kmm/novels/fever-series.html). I didn't realize it was a series when I picked up the 2nd book (Bloodfever) at Borders one day. I certainly figured it out at the end...Moning doesn't really "finish" any of the books in this series. Except the last one. Sort of. When I started telling Shellie about this book, we realized that she had actually just bought the 1st book in the series. Ha! We were both likely drawn by the fact that the bulk of the story takes place in Dublin, Ireland. It's about a girl named MacKayla Lane, who is struggling to avenge her sister, discover herself and save our world from a fantastical "Fae" world full of supernatural creatures. Does she manage it? Well, you'll have to find that out for yourself! Just be prepared to read the whole series.





Book #7 is Friendship Bread by Darian Gee. This is the book I "won" on Goodreads. My wonderful friend Katie came over one day and was kind enough to point out the giveaway portion of the website. I LOVE this. I've only won the one book so far, but for a girl that has committed to purchasing no books all year, this is like a dream! The one liner from the book, "An anonymous gift sends a woman on a journey she never could have anticipated" sounds interesting enough and the reviews that I've read make it seem like it has a happy ending. This is excellent. I could use a happy ending right now :) I have to get on with reading this one anyway so that I can write a review of sorts on Goodreads and up my chances of winning MORE BOOKS!!! Yay.





I'm glad to have finished Book #5, Alice I Have Been, by Melanie Benjamin. I was reading Alice and Shadow simultaneously, and it was a bit of a challenge as I'm normally a one book at a time kinda girl. I made it because I only read Alice at work and only read Shadow at home. I almost backed out of this one because just as I was getting ready to start it, I found out that it was a melancholy book with a somewhat sad ending. I persisted, and I'm glad that I did. The story was so well-written that it truly didn't matter. I only wish that we had been able to get to know the adult Alice a little better. Benjamin did such a good job of making the young Alice real, that it left me wanting more. But either way, thanks to my "nerdfest" book club on FB for making me want to read this one :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hoorah for fb nerdfest!
and, shadow fever sounds good!!! i'll start it when you can tell me for sure it's over, it's over, it's over...

Unknown said...

Julie Andrews,

I have received the Stylish Blogger Award and am passing it on to you. Thanks! :)

http://smhasty.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-blog-awardyippie-award.html