Friday, January 7, 2011

Friday 5: Winter


Though I fear I may be something of a blog copycat, I've decided to borrow another of Stephanie's ideas and start posting a Friday 5. It's a win-win situation, really...Stephanie says she loves to read other people's surveys and it will give me more to blog about. The idea is meant to be copied, really. Every Friday there is a new "5" posted at www.friday5.org/ .



This week's Friday 5 is: Winter



1. Where have you been that could best be described as a winter wonderland?

A. After a fresh snowfall, the first night always feels winter wonderland-y to me. I absolutely love the complete peace that a blanket of snow brings.


2. In what way might you describe this as the winter of your discontent?

A. Instead of the negative implication this phrase has, I'm going to look at it in it's original context, "Now is the winter of our discontent / Made glorious summer by this sun of York" from the opening of Shakespeare's Richard III. After many years in a ridiculous emotionally and verbally abusive relationship I broke free and have spent the last couple of years getting my wits back about me. I've noticed recently that I've been laughing more and crying less. I've travelled more and reconnected with old friends. I have at least reached the spring after my winter of discontent, even if I haven't quite made it to summer yet.


3. What was the last wintergreen-flavored thing you tasted?

A. I have a package of wintergreen flavored mints in my purse right now. They are not very tasty and I'm glad that they're almost gone!


4. Is there anyone in your life who could be nicknamed Old Man Winter?

A. Anyone that knows me well probably already has an idea what my answer to this question is. If ever an Old Man Winter there was, Richard Dierker is the one because... It's ironic, really. He's always hated winter. Loathed it, in fact. However, he is a crotchety, grumpy man and would nicely fit into the role of Old Man Winter.


5. Now that the holidays have passed, is there anything good about the winter that remains?

A. Snow!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

i'll have answers to this friday 5 this coming friday!!! lovely answers!!! :)